How do you register a relationship?

How do you register a relationship?

How to Use You can submit your application online. Fill out an Application to Register a Relationship Form and save it to your computer (PDF, 909.82 KB). Send your completed certificate application and evidence of identification to the Registry of Births, Deaths, and Marriages, or visit your local Service NSW location. The cost is $60.

How to register a relationship in South Australia?

You must provide a certified copy of documentation that your prior relationship terminated if you were previously married, in a registered relationship, or in an equivalent legal registered relationship. The following are examples of documentation that can prove your previous relationship ended: divorce decree, death certificate, annulment letter, or similar document.

To register your termination of a prior relationship, you must complete the Termination of Prior Relationship form (SPR form). This form is available from any South Australian Department of Human Services office or online at You must submit this form with all other relevant documents to a SA DHS office for registration.

The SPR form must be completed by both parties who entered into the prior registered relationship. If your former partner is not available to sign the form, you can file the form without a signature and include a copy of your former partner's death certificate as evidence of their termination of the relationship.

If you were previously married, proof of your divorce must also be submitted with your application for a new marriage license. A divorce decree is considered the best evidence of a previous marriage ending.

How do you prove your relationship?

A certified copy of the person seeking for benefits' civil or religious birth record, including the parents' names, is the greatest proof of relationship. A certified copy of the decree or order of adoption is the greatest proof when the relationship includes a legally adopted kid or the parent of a legally adopted child. If you cannot provide these documents, another form of identification that shows the relationship may be required.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) also requires evidence of your relationship before it will pay your survivor's benefit to your spouse. The SSA looks at the following information to determine if it is enough to show your relationship: name and date of death of your married spouse; the year of marriage; and the year of death. As long as all of these years match up correctly with those on your survivor's application, the SSA will consider you to be married.

If your spouse was not married for at least 10 years when he or she died, then the SSA will not recognize the marriage for purposes of paying out survivor's benefits. The SSA assumes that if your spouse didn't want anyone else to receive his or her benefits, he or she would have said so directly through his or her own application. Therefore, in this case, the SSA will not give any weight to anything other than the legal documentation proving your relationship.

In addition to providing written proof, some states require you to appear in court together to prove your relationship.

How do I cancel a registered relationship? If both parties have sought to revoke the relationship, either party may withdraw the application within the cooling off period. The cooling off period begins on the date that registration is requested and ends on the third anniversary of that date.

In addition, the non-registering party has the right to accept or reject any of the registering party's future proposals of marriage without giving reasons for their decision. The non-registering party cannot reject all of the registering party's proposals without reason; if they do so, then the relationship is deemed rejected by both parties.

The registering party can also reject any proposal from the non-registering party without reason. If this happens, the relationship is also deemed to be rejected by both parties.

If you want to cancel your registration, you will need to complete a Cancellation Form which can be downloaded from

Cancelling registration does not affect any legal commitments you might have made during the registration process. For example, if you married someone after you registered but before you cancelled your registration, you are still married. Cancelling registration just means that the government no longer recognizes your marriage.

How do you get a domestic partnership?

In most cases, in order to register as domestic partners,

  1. You must be at least 18 years old;
  2. Neither partner may be married to, or the domestic partner of, anyone else;
  3. You must reside together, and intend to do so permanently;
  4. You must not be so closely related by blood (or marriage) as to bar marriage in the state;

About Article Author

Ralph Covington

Ralph Covington is a dating coach with over ten years of experience in the dating industry. He has coached many single people who are looking for love, and he knows what it takes to find someone special. He is also an author, having written multiple books on the topic of love and relationships. Ralph's mission is to help as many people as possible find true happiness through romance!

Related posts