What does it mean when someone is stalking you?

What does it mean when someone is stalking you?

A stalker is someone who gives you undue attention in a way that would make most people nervous. Stalking is unlawful and can be accompanied by harassing or intimidating activities. If you believe you are being stalked or have concerns about someone's conduct toward you, contact the police.

Stalking can be either direct or indirect. With direct stalking, the person engages in physical presence with no apparent reason other than to cause fear. Indirect stalking involves some form of communication via email, social networking, phone, etc. between the stalker and victim. This type of stalking can be just as harmful as direct stalking because it continues even after the initial intimidation has been reported.

If you are being stalked, here are some things you should do: Report the incident to your local law enforcement agency. Include details about the person/people involved including names, addresses, dates of birth, etc. Going to the police will help them identify those responsible and put an end to further harassment. Contact any friends or family members who may know about the person(s) causing you concern. They may be able to provide additional information about the situation. Change your address/phone numbers with relatives and friends to prevent the harasser from contacting you directly. Consider obtaining a restraining order against the person(s) threatening you. A court order can help protect you from future incidents involving the same person or group.

What is classed as stalking in the UK?

Stalking is defined as any persistent, unwelcome, and harassing activity from another person; anything that gives you worry or discomfort. It includes a wide range of behaviors, including as unwelcome or hostile correspondence. Assault. Threats. Harassment. These are all examples of stalking.

Stalking can be committed by anyone, but it is most often committed by an intimate partner or family member. In fact, according to research conducted by the University of Michigan, approximately 80% of victims know their stalker is connected to their partner or spouse. The remaining 20% know someone else is responsible for their stalking behavior.

Intimate partners are defined as those who are in a dating relationship or married. This definition includes spouses, boyfriends, husbands, and fiancés. Family members are those who are related to you by blood, marriage, or adoption. This would include parents, siblings, children, grandchildren, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and friends of both sexes. Anyone who is not your immediate family member is considered a stranger.

Strangers stalk for a variety of reasons. Some do so because they are obsessed with their victim. Others enjoy seeing their victim suffer. Still others feel entitled to harass those they believe are more powerful than themselves.

What does stalking mean in intimate partner violence?

Stalking is defined as a pattern of persistent, unwanted attention and contact by a partner that generates worry or anxiety for one's own or someone close to the victim's safety. Stalking can be done in the form of phone calls, texts, emails, social media postings, and sometimes even physical presence. The behavior is intended to get the other person worried about their safety so they will comply with the abuser's demands.

Intimate partner violence includes stalking as well as physical violence, sexual violence, and psychological abuse. Intimate partner violence is not just committed by spouses; it can also be between partners who are dating or have some type of relationship building up toward marriage. In fact, research has shown that up to 9 out of 10 victims know their attacker. Stalking can be used as a tool to control its target, from harassing them at work to following them around town. It can also be a way for an abuser to find out information about the victim's life that they can use against them.

If you are being stalked, it is important to tell someone about the situation before it becomes too dangerous. There are many resources available to help you deal with stalking, including local anti-stalking organizations or hotlines. If you feel like you are in immediate danger, call 911 immediately.

About Article Author

Yvette Hill

Yvette Hill is a relationship counsellor with a degree in psychology and over 10 years of experience helping others through life's difficulties. Yvette specializes in relationships, children, and families. She has written several books on the topics of parenting and marriage as well as giving lectures to parents at conferences about these topics.


CouplesPop.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Related posts